Sarcastic Christian

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
Proverbs 15:1 

You wouldn't believe how many times I've been a Sarcastic Christian. Well-meaning people have come up to me over the years, especially when I was grossly overweight and say something they thought is helpful like: "Your clothes would fit better if you'd only use a little will power!" Well.... something about their well-meaning comments pulled my strings, because I would find myself responding with some type of sarcastic reply.

I don't know that I was trying to be hurtful, but more to draw attention to the fact that their well-meaning comment was less than supportive and felt very judgmental. Was I being the Christian example that Christ wants me to be of His influence in my life? Hardly not!

I've had to be prayerful about this one, especially when well-meaning people share little tidbits of wisdom that they feel will enlighten my life. I need to be gracious in my response the way Christ would want me to and not give a sarcastic response. A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Proverbs 15:1


Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.