Honest Christian

Ye shall have just balances, and a just ephah, and a just bath. The ephah and the bath shall be of one measure, that the bath may contain the tenth part of an homer, and ephah the tenth part of an homer: the measure thereof shall be after the homer. Ezekiel 45: 10-11

So what do weights and balances that I don't even understand have to do with my eating? That's a good question. The thing is, when I read this passage this morning, the thought went through my mind that God has said several times in the Bible that He wants people to use just weights and balances in the Bible. Honesty is important to God. He doesn't want people putting their thumb on the scale to deceive people, so that they pay more for something than they receive.

Well, the thought was that if God went to such great lengths to make sure we are honest in our business dealings, wouldn't He want me to be honest with my eating, as well? So, here goes! I'm struggling right now with my eating. There have been quite a few times when I've been in situations where the majority of my meals revolved around lots of carbs, which I call "breads." An example would be when I had a Nacho Salad with a bazillion nacho chips for dinner at a restaurant when we were celebrating a birthday.  I felt compelled to eat all of them! Some of these times, I had already used all my "bread" allotment by noon, but still was faced with high carb meal options at dinner time.

At first, it really bothered me to be going beyond my "bread" limit. Since it's happened several times within the last month, I've gotten to the point that I've been complacent about it. I haven't even spent much time trying to find other healthier options when we've been out. To top it all off, my husband wants lasagna for dinner tonight. Lasagna in of itself is fine, but I'm often tempted to eat more of this high carb meal, because a slice the size that I'm allowed doesn't seem like enough to get me through the evening. I can already tell that my clothes are starting to get kinda tight and I don't want to be slip-sliding back into poor eating habits. I want to be an Honest Christian, not just with my food, but with all aspects of my life.

When I'm letting food be a vice that controls my life, I'm not letting God be in control of my life. Christ gave His life for our salvation, not for us to delude ourselves into letting vices interfere in our relationship with Him. I need to pray for God's healing touch in my life and turn my food, my honesty, and my control over into His very capable hands. Ye shall have just balances, and a just ephah, and a just bath. The ephah and the bath shall be of one measure, that the bath may contain the tenth part of an homer, and ephah the tenth part of an homer: the measure thereof shall be after the homer. Ezekiel 45: 10-11


Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.