Avoidance Christians

Therefore I endure all things for the elect’s sakes, that they may also obtain the Salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.  It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with Him, we shall also live with Him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with Him: if we deny Him, He also will deny us.  2 Timothy, Chapter 2, verses 10-12.

Boy, this passage always makes me sit up and take notice.  It makes me think of all those times when I have the opportunity to say something to someone else about how God works in my life and I don’t.  I’m afraid of what they might think of me, but I’m really denying God.  I would sure hate for Him to deny me in much the same way.
This is something I have to continue to work on.  Yeah, I’m typing this book right now about how God works in my life, but I’m not taking any big time risk.  For me, risking is when I need to share my faith personally with someone else, taking the chance that they may reject me for standing up for my beliefs.
Actually, whenever I have taken that risk, I haven’t had people reject me.  Most everyone I’ve talked to has been very respectful of my beliefs.  Most of them have even shared situations from their lives that have ended up strengthening my faith.  I think the point is that instead of being Avoidance Christians, we need to be willing to stand up for God if the situation arises, instead of leaving it to someone else.
Here are some related passages:
*But whosoever therefore shall confess Me before men, him will I confess also before My Father which is in heaven.  But whosoever shall deny Me before men, him will I also deny before My Father which is in heaven.  Matthew, Chapter 10, verses 32-33.

*And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in Me.  Matthew, Chapter 11, verse 6.


Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.