Have My Cake and Eat It Too Christian

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other.  Ye cannot serve God and mammon [wealth, riches and possessions].  Matthew, Chapter 6, verse 24.

I have tried to be a “Have My Cake and Eat It Too Christian,” but it just doesn’t work that way.  I thought I could balance my faith like a teeter totter, with Jesus on one side and getting ahead in my job, having nice things and a decent bank account on the other side.  Well, what I have found is that when my focus is on getting ahead in my job, possessions and wealth; the worldly end of the teeter totter goes up.
I was pleased by the growth I saw in these worldly areas, but when I looked back on the other side of the teeter totter, I saw Jesus sitting there at the bottom of my priorities.  Although I’ve tried various ways to maintain a balance to have my cake and eat it too, it just doesn’t work.  I need to make the necessary changes to have Jesus on top as my primary goal.  When I do this, the job, possessions and wealth are at the bottom of my priorities which doesn’t really seem to matter much, because Jesus provides for my every need.

Here is a related passage:

*No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other.  Ye cannot serve God and mammon.  Luke, Chapter 16, verse 13.

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.