Holiday Christian

He telleth the number of the stars: He calleth them all by their names.  Great is our LORD, and of great power: His understanding is infinite.  The LORD lifteth up the meek: He casteth the wicked down to the ground.  Sing unto the LORD with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God: Who covereth the heaven with clouds, Who prepareth rain for the earth, Who maketh grass to grow upon the mountains.  He giveth to the beast his food, and to the young raven which cry.  Psalm, Chapter 147, verses 4-9.
This passage had the word thanksgiving in it long before there were any Pilgrims and national holidays.  When David talks about thanksgiving, he has the right idea.  God provides for us and all the creatures of the world.  My focus at Thanksgiving shouldn’t be on which recipes to cook, so that my relatives brag on the spread they had at our house.  Instead, my focus should consistently be on God, thanking Him for all He does for me.  I shouldn’t just thank Him on religious holidays.  I wonder what it might be like the other way around.  God would take care of my concerns on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.  The rest of the year as a Holiday Christian, God would put me back on the shelf to wait; because I interfered with all the things He was doing during the year.  I sure wouldn’t want the tables turned!
Here is a related passage:


*Yet I am the Lord thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but Me: for there is no Saviour beside Me.  I did know thee in the wilderness, in the land of great drought.  According to their pasture, so were they filled; they were filled, and their heart was exalted; therefore have they forgotten Me.  Hosea, Chapter 13, verses 4-6.

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.