Mindless Christian

This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

Last night, I was watching TV. I made some microwave popcorn for other family members. In the last couple of months, I have downed almost a whole bag of our low calorie popcorn when I've been stressed. This time, I looked and found a third of a bag of popcorn and decided to try that, because it wouldn't allow me to eat too much.

I was watching the show and was enjoying it with family. During the time, I found myself mindlessly eating the popcorn. I asked myself if I was stressed and was doing it to hide things I was worried about. I've done this all too many times in my life, but I wasn't this time. I was trying to be prayerful about this while I crammed a couple more handfuls of popcorn in my mouth. I got the feeling it was just mindless eating. I ate a few more handfuls and realized that if God's showing me this, there's a reason. He wants the best for me, so I quickly asked for His help. I had to struggle with pulling the bag away from my automatic arm that was like those on slot machines, but mine kept coming up with another handful of popcorn. It wasn't easy handing the bag to my husband, because I hadn't finished all the way to the bottom, which was difficult for me. This lets me know that Satan's tempting me with some of my old behaviors. He knows where I'm vulnerable!

God wants me mindful in all I do. My actions in my relationships, my eating, and my faith need to be mindful. I can't just be a Mindless Christian, going through the motions by going to church, but not applying it to my life. I can't go through life only focused on what I want and not what Christ wants. I can't have meaningful relationships with others if I'm just mindlessly going through the motions. I need to be more mindful in all aspects of my life and Christ will get me to that point if I only ask Him. This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24


Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.