Too Much of a Good Thing Christian

Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it. Proverbs 25:16

Have you ever had too much of a good thing? I know I have and my mind goes directly to food. For being a compulsive overeater for too many years to count, I connected more with food than I did with the people in my life, that I worked with, and my Lord and Savior. Food had become a false god for me, thinking it would heal my aching soul and take my pain away.

I remember the times that I encountered a preferred food that was available at a given time in abundance, especially around holiday meals. I would fill myself up on that food, because I might not get it again for a long time. Then, I would wait until it went "down to my toes," so that I could get another plate of that desired food. Sometimes, I would even follow that later with another plate, but would go home feeling nauseated. That's too much of a good thing! 

Once I started turning my compulsive overeating and stressful situations over to Christ's capable hands to heal me, my life turned completely around. I no longer had to be a Too Much of a Good Thing Christian, where I let things of the world, whether food or possessions possess me instead of turning to the Lord.


Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.