Atta Boy Christians

Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. Proverbs 16:19

I think that with being overweight so much of my childhood, I struggled with my self-esteem. I tried to stack the deck to get the attention of others in ways to counteract that. I used to do favors for people hoping to get Atta Boys which I call Good Debbie's. I liked the praise I got when I did nice things for others and tried to get more and more.

I would anticipate things that people might need and attempt to accomplish them whether they really needed assistance or not. I am realizing that this is a common theme in my adult life, as well. Maybe, I'm still an Atta Boy Christian, even though I think I've grown beyond that.

I don't want to be dependent on the compliments of others to give me my self-worth. I get that from my relationship with Christ. He fills my inner void in ways that no amounts of food or compliments could ever do. I don't have to give up doing nice things for people, but it is much better to do it subtly so that no one is aware. God wants me to have a humble spirit, not focused on the Atta Boys or worldly gain for the things I do for Him. Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. Proverbs 16:19

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.