Take Credit Christians

Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the LORD thy God which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage; Who led thee through that great terrible wilderness, wherein were fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought, where there was no water; Who brought thee forth water out of the rock of flint; Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that He might humble thee, and that He might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end; And thou say in thine heart, my power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth.  But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is He that giveth thee power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.  And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish.  Deuteronomy, Chapter 8, verses 14-19.

It’s kind of like a high school student who buys a term paper from another student rather than doing their own assignment.  They are tickled when the teacher hands back their paper and they have received an A.  When the teacher refers to their paper as an example of exemplary work and dedication, they puff up with pride as if they had written the term paper themselves, but they hadn’t.
God knew how human we were.  He knew that the Israelites would see all the miracles that He had provided for them in the wilderness and the bounty He provided in the Promised Land.  God knew that they would take credit for it, as if they had accomplished these on their own.  He also knew that they would forget to thank Him and they would take credit for all their good fortune, and He was right.
Do we do this in our own lives as Take Credit Christians?  I have, more times than I care to mention.  God has gotten me through many difficult situations and when they’re over, I either forget about what God had done for me, or what is even worse, I take credit for them myself.
Some people make it hard to give God the credit.  People have complimented me for particular ideas or actions.  I tell them that God gave me the idea or God got me through the particular situation but they argue with me, telling me, “No, god helps him who helps himself.”  Well, you already know how I stand on that one, since that isn't even a verse in the Bible and refers to an Aesop's Fable! 

We can easily fall into the trap of not appreciating all that God has done for us.  God can lead us out this trap if we let Him, just like He led the Israelites to the Promised Land.

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.