Ulterior Motives Christians

Whosoever cometh to Me, and heareth My sayings, and doeth them, I will show you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.  But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the storm did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.  Luke, Chapter 6, verses 47-49.

I need to make sure that my faith in God has a firm foundation like the house built on rock, because my faith has to withstand all the human temptations that arise.  Some of those temptations are very subtle and can let little things into our lives that seem very minor but still shake our foundation.  Food has always been one of my bigger vices.
My younger brother was always very giving.  I’m ashamed to say that I took advantage of him when he wasn’t even in school yet.  Being the youngest and the only boy in the family, he had a piggy bank full of money.  When my parents weren’t around, I talked him into breaking into his piggy bank to get all his money out to take with us to the movies.  Being the generous person that he is, he shared all his money with his older sister.  I bought ice cream after ice cream, followed by enough candy bars to make a person sick.  He had trusted me, but my ulterior motives interfered with being an example of my faith.  Like I said, we have to be careful about the subtle things in life that sneak in and shake our foundation on rock.  As Ulterior Motive Christians, something very minor could cause that foundation to crumble!

Here is a related passage:
*Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.  And every one that heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.  And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at His doctrine.  Matthew, Chapter 7, verses 24-28.


Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.