Turn to Christ First Christian

Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips. Psalm 141:3

I realize that this Bible verse is about God keeping my mouth shut, rather than saying inappropriate, rude or hurtful things. I do need that, but I also need the literal meaning of this same verse.

My dad called and was telling me that he had really bad heartburn. I talked to him about ringing the buzzer on his bed to get a nurse, so he can request something for the heartburn. He didn't want to do that. I talked to him about my calling the nurse's station to request that they bring Dad something for his heartburn, but he told me not to. I asked several more times, because he sometimes changes his mind a little later, but he always told me no. Then, he told me that the heartburn pains radiate into his heart. I told them that I wanted to call the nurse's station, so they could get a doctor to see him, but he told me no again, several times.

After that call, I was watching TV with my husband. I had what I call the munchies. At first, I was going to get the frozen pecans, but realized I could possibly down a whole bag of them which would end up being tons of fat. Instead, I decided on the low-fat, low-salt, low-calorie popcorn I have. It may have had lots less calories and fat, but I downed almost the whole bag. It felt like I couldn't stop eating it, nor did I want to. When I realized there was almost nothing left in the bag, I said a quick prayer asking God to help me and He did. Trying to be prayerful about this, I tried to figure out why I couldn't stop and why I didn't want to. It turns out that I was really stressed about the heartburn pains my dad was having that radiate to his heart and that he wouldn't let me call the nurse's station. I felt so helpless. Instead, if I weren't hiding my feelings and stress by munching on popcorn, I should have turned these feelings over to Christ, who would have calmed me and gotten me through these feelings without wreaking havoc on my body. I need to be a Turn to Christ First Christian, and let Him heal me rather than hiding behind a bag of popcorn. Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips. Psalm 141:3


Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.