Good Tree Christians

Luke 6:43 For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

We were talking over lunch about little kids who grow up thinking they are no good at anything academic. I mentioned a former student who was reluctant to read silently in class when it was time to do so. I talked about how I started reading one-to-one with this student during the Silent Sustained Reading times. I had originally thought that this student avoided reading because he wasn't a good reader, but was surprised to find out I was wrong.

This student had some strong reading skills, but just didn't know it. My feeling is, he might have felt inferior to a more proficient reader when he was younger and just thought he still wasn't any good at reading, but he was wrong!

Sometimes when we feel so sinful, unloved, incapable of making good choices in our lives, we're wrong. We sometimes mistakenly think, like my student did, that we aren't capable of making the good choices that Christ would want from us.  Sometimes it's easier to give up on ourselves and feel we are a corrupt tree incapable of good choices, much like the reader I mentioned. But just like the reluctant reader, who really was a good reader, we are often are Good Tree Christians, but just don't realize it yet. 

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.