Compassionate Christian

Jesus wept. John11:35

When I usually read this, I think about it being the shortest verse of the Bible. Do I think of how significant these two words are? Not until today. I realized that this verse is showing what a compassionate person/Savior Christ is and He would want us to be the same way.

It’s easy for us to kiss the boo-boo of a little child, trying to comfort their tears away, but are we Compassionate Christians? Unfortunately, I know that all too often, I’m not. Do I hear of injustices that happen in our society and turn a blind eye, because I’m tired of hearing all that negative stuff? Do I take the risks to challenge the opinions of the norm to stand out against atrocities that happen in the world? Do I sit idly by as others comment on how the plight of many is due to their own inability to make good choices, to earn a decent pay check, to have good work ethic, and list goes on?

Do I treat others with the respect that they deserve? I know that when I was overweight, others would ignore my opinions and treat me like my feelings didn’t count because of my size. Do I treat others with that same respect even when they aren’t of the same faith, culture, financial situation, etc.? I wish I could say I always do, but probably haven’t more than I have. I strive to be a more Compassionate Christian and a better example of my faith in Christ. And He [Jesus] said, woe unto you also, ye lawyers! For ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers. Luke 11:46

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.