50/50 Christian

Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is a sin. James 4:17

Oh boy! I am very guilty of this one! There are many times when God tugs on my heart and I give some lame reason why I couldn't or shouldn't do this or that. Who am I trying to fool? Do I not think that God knows what I am doing and sees through those lame excuses?

The only one I'm fooling is myself! I'm fooling myself into thinking that I'm this devout Christian who is only too willing to do good on Christ's behalf, but is that true? Or am I a 50/50 Christian, doing some of the things God wants and ignoring others?

I hate to say this, but I am probably more of a 50/50 Christian than I'd like to admit. Sure, God took care of my weight loss and has taken my urge for large amounts of food away. He didn't just take half of my weight away and say something like, "Debbie is a 50/50 Christian, doing only half of what I want. I think I, will only answer half of her requests." I am definitely glad that Christ doesn't respond to me this way and I need to be more mindful about being willing to do all the things that He requests of me. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is a sin. James 4:17


Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.