Sunday Christian

And it came to pass, as He spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto Him, Blessed is the womb that bare Thee, and the paps which Thou hast sucked.  But He said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the Word of God, and keep it.  Luke, Chapter 11, verses 27-28.

God lets me know in this passage that it’s not good enough to hear the Word of God.  We are supposed to live the life that He suggests.  It reminds me of teaching math to children.  I would explain a new math concept to nodding heads.  I would ask if anyone had a question, but they rarely did.  I thought they really understood the concept, but as I walked around the room, I found that although the children thought they understood the concept, they weren’t applying it and were lost.
It’s pretty easy to hear things in church and feel it’s impacted your life.  If we are just “Sunday Christians” cussing at other motorists, yelling at our kids or being rude to others the rest of the week, we may not be living our lives as examples of how God works in us.
Here is a related passage:


*For whosoever shall do the will of My Father which is in heaven, the same is My brother, and sister, and mother.  Matthew, Chapter 12, verse 50.

Since this is an example of the positive influence God has made on my walk with Christ, this may not reflect the whole meaning of the Bible verses.